Friday 4 July 2014

We're all the boss



A selfie I took with a monkey on my solo holiday last year

A few years ago, I never would have dreamed of doing anything on my own. Since I was 16 I've always had a boyfriend, which meant that there was always someone that I could manipulate into doing things with me to keep me company and do things with. I've been single for just over a year and a half now and in that time I've done so many things by myself that I never would have done before and do you know what? I've loved it. There's nothing like your own company, getting a bit of peace and quiet, doing what you want to do and being the boss. I thought I'd share some of the things I've been enjoying doing on my own.

Going to gigs
I've been going to gigs on my own for years. The first time was when I saw Bat For Lashes in 2009, I didn't know anyone else who was a fan of her and instead of missing out I decided to go along anyway. Most of the time, when you're at a gig you end up losing who you're with and you're there to enjoy the music not have a catch up. I've lost count of how many gigs I've actually been to on my own but off the top of my head I've seen: Bat For Lashes, Manic Street Preachers, Marina & The Diamonds, Band of Horses, Muse and Garbage.

Shopping
There's nothing like shopping on your own! I'm one of those people that can't make a decision to save my life. I like to spend ages wandering around a shop holding an item and trying to decide whether I should buy it or not. When you're on your own you have nobody to moan at you and make you hurry up and you have all the time in the world.

Coffee/Eating Out
One of my favourite things to do is sit in a coffee shop with a good book, enjoying a delicious coffee. I've been known to sit in Costa for hours engrossed in a book long after my cup is empty. I also enjoy people watching as I'm quite a nosy person. When I was at uni, I used to walk into town and sit in Starbucks with a drink just for something to do. I know a lot of people don't like the idea of eating out at a restaurant on their own but I've done it plenty of times when I've been by myself. I love food and not having anyone with me isn't going to put me off stuffing my face!

Going to the cinema
I don't go to the cinema that often but three out of the last four times I've been, I've been alone. Again, I don't see the point of missing out on a film just because nobody else wants to see it. A few weeks ago,
I saw The Book Thief and it was brilliant. One of the pros of going on your own is you don't have anybody asking you what's going on.

Travelling
I've been up to Edinburgh on my own twice now. Each time I've met Amy once I've arrived but I've made the ten hour coach journey by myself and I've spent a good few hours wandering around the city on my own. I've been on holiday on my own as well, last year I went away to the Isle of Wight which you can read about here. I've also travelled down to London by myself a lot. On Wednesday I went down and attended six press days on my own which is something I never would have dreamed I'd be doing!

I love being independent and being my own boss. You can read other stories over on Giff Gaff's website.



This post has been written in collaboration with Giff Gaff, I have not been compensated for it.

2 comments:

  1. I've never been to the cinema by myself, but I've made it a goal to do at least once.
    Rubi | The Den

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's great to do things by yourself, I love doing it too! I'm still a little iffy about eating a restaurant by myself though xx

    hellotashaa.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting, I appreciate it.
Leave me a link to your blog and I'll make sure I check it out!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Back to Top